The moment inmates beat Rikers officer as fellow guard does nothing

Startling video obtained by the Post shows a group of five inmates and suspected gang members attacking a Rikers correction officer, leaving him in serious condition with a broken neck, while a fellow guard twiddles his thumbs.

The 30-second clip shows two guards at the George Motchan Detention Center at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday, when a single inmate identified as Steven Espinal allegedly lunges out of nowhere and sucker punches one officer, knocking him to the ground.

The second guard, who is standing just feet away behind a tiny table, appears to see the first inmate strike the guard, but does nothing to intervene.

Then four other inmates rush in, pouncing on the downed Boldest and savaging him with kicks and punches while his co-worker dithers behind the table, appearing to rearrange things on the counter as he inches around it in apprehensive baby steps.

Meantime, two other guards can be seen rushing in to peel the gangbangers off their beset-upon colleague.

The do-nothing jailer finally waddles out from behind the table after his colleagues have the situation under control, video shows.

Correction Officers Benevolent Association president Elias Husamudeen claimed the guard used his pepper spray, but he does not appear to in video obtained by The Post.

“I’m not gonna allow anyone to say my guys could have done more,” Husamudeen said during a press conference. “That officer used the spray, he did what he could have.”

One of the officers who rushed to his downed co-worker’s aid appears to make a sweeping, spraying motion with his arm, video shows.

It was one of the worst prison attacks in years, a jail source said.

Law enforcement sources identified the other inmates as Samson Walston, Eric Morris, Nazeem Francis and Devin Burns. All five are are believed to be members of the Bloods.

Espinal had been overheard earlier in the day raging on a phone call that he wanted to punch someone, according to officials.

The 39-year-old officer was taken to an area hospital in serious condition.

Mayor de Blasio was briefed on the attack Saturday night. He spoke with the injured officer the following morning, spokesman Eric Phillips said on Twitter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *